I wanted this dress from The Gap:
But it was all out in my size. So I thought, “I know! I will sew one! How hard can it be?”
I searched for a pattern that matched the dress and came up with this one from Vogue:
All I needed to do was to bring in the shoulders for style D (the one with the fuller skirt) and it was an exact match!
I found a nice cotton lawn at Jo-Ann’s, yes, Jo-Ann’s.
I started to think about how to change the shoulders and there is where I got stuck. I hadn’t sewn for a while and the alteration was confusing me. So I signed up for a group open sewing gathering at the Victorian Cupboard and we made it work!
My next stumbling block? Well, other than the fact that I put the facing on backwards and I had to rip it all out and re-apply it (a very painstaking and slow task due to the fact that I was using a cotton Lawn and I didn’t want to rip it), was the button holes. I had an irrational fear of the button holes. I was sure that my dress would end up all crooked due to misplacement of the button holes! I cannot tell you how many practice button holes I made and how many weeks it took until I finally put them on this dress.
Then I put it down. I started the dress in August and then it got too cold to wear it and there went my incentive to finish. I picked it up again this spring thinking that all I had left were a few button holes and then the buttons. But, surprise!, I had already done all the button holes, I just needed to sew on the buttons.
Since then I’ve worn it twice. I am really happy with how it turned out. No one asked me if I had made the dress which was reassuring, it didn’t look homemade!